Cafeteria begins second year of new program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students can now select from a variety of options in the redesigned cafeteria.

Jasmyn Webb

Jasmyn Webb

Jasmyn Webb

Jasmyn Webb

The changes started with the scenery. Though the retired basketball gym still looked the same, there were mild differences when it came to the new lunch program.

For starters, before Sodexo there were no posters advertising meals and promoting a promise to a better tasting lunch and healthier choices. Second, New Hope had a staff overhaul; the lunch room gained new lunch staff while some of the old staff remained. Perhaps most importantly the food options were different.

It was a promising start and the students were excited, but the lines got shorter as the year went on.

Junior Taylor Jackson explained how positive her expectations were for the new lunch last year. ” A greater variety. I’d never eaten school lunch before, but this was interesting to try.”

Senior Krystal Lewis had a different take. “The food looked like it had a promise to be fresher…and a better selection. It only looked that way.”  She added. “Looks can be deceiving.”

Jackson also stated that the food was very promising at first, but it then ran dry as the year continued on. “It became lazy when leftovers became the new meal for the new day.”

Senior Pabilito Doss believes that the new selection in the lunch room has improved in the aspect of variety, but has maintained low quality and an inadequate portion size.

Some students respond to the second year of Sodexo with hopelessness, while others maintain the hope that Sodexo will take their complaints into consideration. Sodexo employee’s declined comment on this story.