Movie Review: “Doctor Strange”

Theatrical Release Poster (Marvel, Disney)

"Dr. Strange" gets a perfect score from The Echo's Life Editor.

Madison Perkins, Life Editor

Doctor Strange

10/10

Marvel is back and they’ve created yet another action fantasy that leaves you totally flabbergasted and ready for more.

Unfortunately, this movie did not have as much hype or praise in the past few months unlike its fellow predecessors, “Deadpool” and “Captain America: Civil War.” Suicide Squad even had a large amount of hype that only led to slight disappointment for most viewers, but Marvel Studios has brought a magical perspective on the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) with their character Doctor Strange, or Stephen Strange. This movie was full of “Inception” and “Matrix”-esque sequences that left your mouth hanging open in pure awe. It was more based around itscharacter development rather than its romance, which I found to be refreshing, but dear female readers, don’t worry, they do have hints of romance that leave you muttering, “How sweet!”

The beginning of our story puts us in Nepal, where an evil sorcerer Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) and his followers enter a secret compound, Kamar-Taj, and murder a librarian, who is a protector of ancient texts and scrolls. This group of baddies steal a ritual from a book that belongs to the Ancient One. The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) is another sorcerer who has lived for an unknown time and is a teacher to all who come to her. She attempts to defeat the intruders, but alas Kaecilius escape with the pages and this is where the hero of our film is introduced.

Once introduced to Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) you see that he is a neurosurgeon, who is both arrogant and quick to state what he knows, all in all he’s an egotistical man who has it all. On one stormy evening he is involved in a horrific car accident that leaves him with grotesque injuries to his steady surgical hands. Now he’s left with wavering hands that makes him incapable of surgery procedures. He is now desperate and must find some sort of miracle to regain his life, so after a certain encounter he decides to leave New York and go to Nepal, where his new life shall begin.

This is where he meets the Ancient One and her pupil, Mordo. She proceeds to teach Stephen of the astral planes and other dimensions that build our reality, creating yet another sorcerer. Strange later learns there is far more than just magical teachings at this odd temple in Kathmandu. Master Wong, the new librarian, informs Stephen that the Earth is protected by a spell formed from three buildings around the world, called Sanctums, found in New York City, London, and Hong Kong. See? Not just your average Marvel movie, right?

This movie left me waiting for more to come and I must say it was quite possibly the best Marvel movie since “Guardians of the Galaxy.” It was full of action, adventure, humor, and even a little bit of romance that creates quite the story.

I give it 10/10 for its brilliant visual effects, acting, and musical score that even gave me goosebumps. I must also applause the freshness of this movie that only caused me to dread seeing the end credits, wanting and wishing for more action packed scenes full of magic and mind-boggling visuals.