Students seek healing after tragedy

A student-made sign from Caledonia offers support for New Hope's four wreck victims.

Photo by Amanda Strain

Photo by Amanda Strain

Amanda Strain, Features Editor

Out of a horrible tragedy containing four of our New Hope High School students, has come a new outlook on life and a new faith in our community.

Ever since three of New Hope’s current students and one former student were critically injured in a wreck the Trojan family has seen schools, churches, friends and families bond together to pray, represent, or donate to and for the families of these teens.

New Hope students have held three prayer rallies for their friends, signed posters, sent cards, held bake sales and collected donations, made shirts and bracelets, but they’re not the only ones.

Even though these students belonged to the New Hope community, several schools in the greater area have put aside all rivalries and made an effort to help or represent our injured.

Caledonia posted large “We Love You” signs for each student in their cafeteria for their student body to sign. West Lowndes and Columbus Christian added banners of their own. Victory made bracelets in their honor. Schools and churches all around the community held prayer meetings to contribute to the well-being of our loved ones. Even during sporting events, schools made sure to mention their grievances and support for what we are all going through.

To help soothe these grievances guidance counselors were brought in  to support the friends of the injured and to be of assistance to anyone who needed them, and teachers were encouraged to hold class discussions about feelings about the incident and what students and the community can learn from it.

Summing up those discussions, Makayla Sanders, the best friend of one of the students involved in the wreck, said, “One decision can change a lifetime.”

The main topic of concern ever since the wreck has been the condition of the students involved. Though not totally out of the woods, as of now all students are at relative levels of recovery.

Despite the good and bad news New Hope is not stopping with the support pouring in for these people and their families. Thursday October 20, a freshmen student, Carrington Davis, organized a bake sale which generated close to $1,000. This act of kindness, along with the large posters from several schools that are hung in the commons area, has inspired hope in the student body.

The school community only wants our injured to know they are loved and supported. Students have shown this even during our homecoming pep rally, with chants of “TDMK” and a public shout-out from one of our senior football players, dedicating the homecoming game to our injured friends. One homecoming escort even carried a picture of his friend down the field with him to make him feel there, since he has never missed a homecoming.

The student body has pledged continued support and anxiously awaits their friends’ healing and homecoming.