Community rallies around assistant principal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Sullivan has returned to work with renewed faith in the New Hope community.

Photo by Amanda Strain

Photo by Amanda Strain

Photo by Amanda Strain

Amanda Strain, Features Editor

Tragedy struck New Hope High School the evening of September 22, as Mr. Sammy Sullivan’s house went up in flames and ended in the loss of everything the assistant principal and his family owns.

But out of this tragedy has come a new faith in humanity to Sullivan, his family and everyone else affected by the incident, because of the warm hearts of the people of our community. Mr. Sullivan and his family are now living in a house in Lakeover, where a generous family has offered to lend out to them for the time being. They have also been given furniture, clothes, chargers, food and other essential things by the people around them.

Many people have supported Mr. Sullivan’s cause by donating money, household goods, or other things he and his family need that our society takes for granted. New Hope students alone have raised $1,300: $400 in donations taken up by the robotics team and $900 from the bake sale teachers put on out of their own pockets.

A week after the fire, the teachers met in library during lunch and surprised Mr. Sullivan and his wife with kitchen gifts to stock and supply their kitchen. Mr. Sullivan showed great gratitude at the sight and kindness showed by his co-workers and friends.

In an email to faculty, staff, and students, Mr. Sullivan expressed his gratitude. “The clothes, food, money, and household items given and donated to us has shown us that God truly uses his Earthly Angels to answer the prayers and needs of others. You are all angels in God’s loving army and we are blessed to have you in our lives.” He then expressed that the outpouring of support has helped cement his family’s connection to the community. “The New Hope Community, including the school, church and community as a whole has been and will continue to be our home.”

New Hope High School students and teachers aren’t the only people reaching out to the beloved assistant principle, as the students and teachers at New Hope Elementary held a household toiletry drive to show their love and support.

The community and schools have reached out to show Mr. Sullivan support through this very hard time, and will continue doing so.