Student Council welcomes new representatives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Council's work is in full swing, having just completed elections.

Illustration by Aubrey Beall

Illustration by Aubrey Beall

Illustration by Aubrey Beall

Jasmyn Webb, News Editor

On September 15th, 2016, The Student Council of New Hope High School had their first meeting to include new members.

The previous week, the New Hope student body elected six new freshmen to the council, as well as two juniors and three seniors, to fill vacancies. These new members are Ben Bradley, Carrington Davis, Davis Fitch, Cole Ruffin, Alberto Vasquez, Logan Yarbrough (9th grade); Daniel Bradley and Rocio Vasquez-Meza (11th grade); and Noah Lawrence, Summer Porter, and Luke Yarbrough (12th grade).

Georgia Brown, a sophomore, explains how she ran for Student Council a year ago because she wanted to make a difference in our school. “I feel like so many people [sophomores] aren’t heard, and this is a way I can be their voice.”

Ryan Latham, a sophomore, agrees. “Only reasonable changes get taken in to action. We recently talked about getting the potholes on the property filled in.”

But, it’s not only the sophomores who share the same ambition, upperclassmen do as well.

“I haven’t been apart of anything these last three years, and I really wanted to do something for my senior year,” Noah Lawrence, a newly-elected senior, explains. “Although I don’t know what I’ll be able to do as a representative, I intend to encourage other students to speak up and out.”

Rocio Vasquez, a junior, believes that trying out for Student Council was a great advancement toward making some changes with things she didn’t like since it has been said that many of the changes desired haven’t been spoken about nor taken into action.

Junior Shalinda Fields explains, “Student Council is a great way to have an inside look on the school, and it’s important that the students have a civilized input in what goes on. Because, at the end of the day, they’re the ones who attend it every day. Why not make it the best it can be?”

The Student Council has worked on several little projects this year, but everyone has an eye toward October.

“It’s all about homecoming right now since we’re hosting [the dance] this year.” Fields admitted. The homecoming dance–Saturday, October 22nd–is said to be masquerade themed.