Michael Lewis: Young entrepreneur

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michael Lewis: Young entrepreneur

Michael Lewis' clothing line  has pulled in big profits in a short time.

Michael Lewis' clothing line has pulled in big profits in a short time.

Promotional Photo (Original Clothing Co.)

Amanda Strain, Features Editor

The New Hope High School sophomore class has its own CEO: Michael Lewis, chief of the worldwide company Original Clothing Co.

Lewis manufactures and produces his own clothing line, which was originally Legit Clothing and then Original Dots, until it was changed to the current name when his company started becoming serious. His line was originally aimed at skaters, but is now reaching for the broader audience for anyone who is interested.

His business transformed from a dream into a reality with the encouragement of his family and friends in 2013. Now, only three years later, he has customers from California–with most demand in Los Angeles–to New York. Although his company began as a clothing source for New Hope Middle schoolers, he now has 5,775 Instagram followers from all over the country and is gaining more every day.

Lewis, who is scheduled to be featured in The Commercial Dispatch soon for his business smarts, has previously collaborated with Skate Culture (@skate.culture, on Instagram), another clothing line aimed at skaters. His headwear is manufactured overseas and the tops he produces himself, with something he calls his, “secret recipe.”

screenshot_2016-09-26-08-13-38_1

screenshot_2016-09-26-08-13-21_1

Lewis’ funds are being saved for his future, including the just under $19,000 profit he has achieved in the past two years. His advice to anyone setting out on a similar feat is,” It gets rough, and when it does get rough keep going. Remember your original goal to keep you motivated.”

Lewis’ motivation has stemmed from positive comments and feedback, letting him know that people like what he’s doing and making him feel validated. Lewis’ products include hats, shirt, sweatshirts, and other clothing items on his website, but his website is not visible to people who live in Mississippi to protect his privacy until he can obtain a P.O. Box. Anyone interested in his merchandise can go to his Instagram–@originalclothingco–or contact him at his work phone, 662-471-9269. He says merchandise is available to anyone who is interested.