Change in cafeteria creates choices

Back to Article
Back to Article

Change in cafeteria creates choices

The cafeteria is getting a makeover courtesy of Sodexho.

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Jasmyn Webb, News Editor

A new lunch program managed by Sodexo has joined together with the Lowndes Country District to bring better quality food to all three schools: New Hope, Caledonia, and West Lowndes.

The decision for this new program was discussed for a year prior to it being presented to the board and voted on, according to Matt Smith, the principal of New Hope High School.

“It was presented and passed by the Lowndes County Board of Education which is made up of 5 elected officials.  Two of them represent New Hope, two of them represent Caledonia, and one represents West Lowndes. Our representatives are Mr. Bobby Barksdale and Mr. Wesley Barrett.” Smith explained.

Smith also states how he supported the change and how he knows the food would’ve been better for the students. “They [students] would have more options, and I believed the cafeteria workers would have a better working environment.”

With this new program comes a lot of changes, from the staff to the daily costs for meals, snacks, and drinks. The cost for some items is more than before, though the price is the same for students as it was last year. The price of snacks increased from $.50 to $.75. Water has increased from $.50 cents to $1, and the price of a second entrée has increased from $1.50 extra to $2 extra. All of these decisions were made by Sodexo.

A sign in the lunch line advertises healthy choices.

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

As for the new and returning workers, the new workers were brought in by Sodexo management because they have been with the company for longer and are aware of the company expectations. The returning staff were offered their jobs back if they wanted to stay. Some stayed, some left.

“[The new employees] worked for a while and have now gone back to their regular full time jobs elsewhere with Sodexo. Some of our employees have taken other jobs and some new replacements have been found,” Smith clarified.