New year brings new advisory period

Back to Article
Back to Article

New year brings new advisory period

Students in Mrs. Watson's Freshman Focus class participate in a leadership skills game.

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Dawson Elmore, Opinions Editor

This year at New Hope High School there has been a new period installed in the schedule, a 24-minute teacher advisory block where students go between 1st and 2nd blocks. Fellow county high schools have implemented similar measures.

New Hope students are divided by grade level into four courses: Freshman Focus, Sophomore Success, Junior ACTion, and Senior Strategies. Students learn about the handbook, how they learn, and plenty more throughout the year.

Principal Matt Smith believes that the TA period is good for all students, saying that Lowndes County had to do away with early release Wednesdays in order for all three high schools to have time built in the day for tutoring and remediation. Smith also emphasized that “the superintendent mandated that ALL Juniors take ACT Prep and WorkKeys, and the only way that could work is with the new TA period.”

Even though there have been some kinks with the TA period to start the year, and not everyone is adjusted to it yet, Mr. Smith and Lowndes County administrators are working to smooth out those kinks. He also said that “along with those kinks and everything we do, we evaluate, analyze, reevaluate, and make necessary adjustments to the schedule.”

Some teachers and students like it and don’t really have a problem with meeting for a short time during the week, as juniors will be working on ACT prep and seniors will have time to work on college applications and graduation requirements. Additionally, the period has allowed for easier elections and taking care of the paperwork that goes along with the school year.

Others are not so kind to the new advisory period. Junior John David East believes the advisory period to be “an utter waste of time.” The period should be eliminated, East believes, because 24 minutes “really isn’t a lot of time to really learn something and then test on it.”