Olsen returns home, seeks soccer success

Andrew Olsen has returned to New Hope with the plan of getting the boys soccer team back to its winning ways.

Photo by Danielle Owens

Photo by Danielle Owens

Rocio Vasquez-Meza, Staff Writer

Andrew Olsen, a former New Hope graduate, is excited about his new position as an accounting and personal finance teacher. He is thankful for all the help from his coworkers and is happy with all his new students. “Everyone has been great. If I have an issue they all help me out.”

Olsen, having graduated in 2005 from New Hope, is happy to be back. The school where he previously coached was new, so they hadn’t yet formed an identity. “There’s a lot of pride around here.” He recalls painting his chest and making flags for pep rallies, wanting the spirit stick.

He claims coming back is like stepping right into 2005—not much has changed since he was a student. A lot of his old teachers are still here, including Coach Meggs, Mrs. Holliman, Mr. DeVenny and Mrs. Malone. It is still a very close knit community, which is important to Olsen.

Although Olsen knew from the beginning he wanted to go into finance, he never thought he would end up teaching. He got his business administration degree from Mississippi State but quickly realized that was not what he wanted to do with his life. He wanted to coach a high school soccer team but to do that he needed to teach, so he went back and got a kinesiology degree.

Olsen, who coached a girls’ soccer team outside of Memphis for 4 years, believes he wanted to come back and make a difference at home. “I want to get the soccer team winning again.”

He proudly states his team made district 6 consecutive times and went to playoffs when he played soccer at New Hope. He wants his new team to achieve the same things he did as well as go beyond.

Besides being a soccer player, Olsen was also a show choir member. Mrs. Lee, who has also come back after a being gone for years, was his director. He fondly remembers all his friends performing at Fall Show and laughs at the memories of his “awkward” moves. He is surprised that boys are no longer as big a part of it.