New high school taking shape

Back to Article
Back to Article

New high school taking shape

The new high school building project is slightly ahead of schedule.

Photo by Marianna Bala'a

Photo by Marianna Bala'a

Photo by Marianna Bala'a

Amanda Strain, Staff Writer

New Hope Schools are in the process of gaining a new high school campus, and could be getting it much sooner than expected. The original date for the new school’s opening was December 2017. However, due to the builders being ahead of schedule, it might be arriving even quicker – even as early as October of 2017.

“If we were to walk over there right now, I could show you where my office would be and then we could walk to where the library is, you could see it all,” said Mr. Smith, New Hope High’s head principal. Though it is still unclear whether the class of 2018 or 2019 will be the first to graduate from the new campus, Mr. Smith shared, “Mr. Wright is really pushing for us to move in those two weeks of Christmas vacation. But I’m not sure if that’s going to be possible,” he added. “There’s just too much stuff to move in such a small amount of time.”

In the new building, there is going to be a large, one-room storm shelter, which will be beside the gym and will host P.E. classes. The gym will mainly be for basketball games, but it will also host theatrical performances because it will contain a stage. There will be a multipurpose room, in which teacher meetings and class-wide announcements and lectures will be held. This room will feature stadium-like seating, with room for 250 people.

The first walls to go up were around the emergency shelter and gym.

Photo by Marianna Balaa

However, “The main focal point of the new school is going to be the library,” says Smith. The new library will be located at the front of the building, making it easily visible from the front doors of the high school. The library will also have a classroom with glass walls at the front for Ms. DeVenney, the school’s head librarian, to teach in.

“The library will have a really cool ceiling. It’s going to be wave-shaped suspended tiles,” shared an enthusiastic Mr. Smith.

Even though the high school is getting a new campus, it is the middle school that caused it to be built in the first place. There is simply not enough room in the current middle school to hold all of its students. However, instead of a new middle school, the current high school will become New Hope Middle’s new campus. “Once the new high school is built, the middle school will move here and the four-five building and part of the current middle school will be torn down,” said Smith.

Mr. Smith said his favorite part of the new school building was “the fact that the teachers got to help design their own rooms and the anticipation of all the faculty and students.” His guess is that the newness will be the thing that excites students the most, and is something he is also excited for.