Boyett wears many hats as counselor

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boyett wears many hats as counselor

Ms. Kendra Boyett deals with everything ranging students' personal issues to college applications.

Belinda Joseph, Web/Layout Editor

Kendra Boyett, the 11th and 12th grade counselor here at New Hope, is from Millport, Alabama, and graduated from South Lamar High School.

When she got out of high school, she went straight to Mississippi State to get her bachelor’s degree in fashion merchandising. She graduated with her degree in 2002, and then owned a dress shop for 6 years.

After she had her second child, she realized that she wanted to be on the same schedule as her 2 children, who were in school here at New Hope. She wanted to be on break whenever they were on break, out of school for the summer or a holiday.

In 2007, she graduated from University of West Alabama with her Master’s degree in Elementary Ed and in 2009, she graduated with her Master’s degree in School Counseling.

She began her educational career teaching 3rd grade at Reform Elementary in Reform, AlabamaThen, she worked as a special education aid at South Lamar for a few months. She finally came over to New Hope to teach 3rd and 4th grades.

Boyett always knew, though, that she did not want to be in a classroom for 25 years. When she was in school, she really liked her school counselor and she looked up to her because she liked how she helped the students with their problems. This made her want to become a school counselor.

She got her wish, becoming counselor at New Hope High School last year. As the counselor, she has to see students about many different things. Students come to see her about family problems, when they are failing their classes, and issues they are having in their classrooms.

They also come to see her to see their ranks in their classrooms, to ask about their schedule, or when they need help filling out scholarships and transcripts. She helps people with their future career in college and helps them decide on a major. She also helps the students enroll in the dual credit classes that they want to take, either on campus or online. When a student has to transfer to another school, she has to send their records over. When a student transfers here, she has to make a request to get their records from their old school. When she gets all of the student’s information, she has to make a portfolio for that student.

She has to help many of the students here at New Hope, so the best part of her job is helping the students figure things out. She just likes spending most of her time and energy helping the students with what they need help with. The worst part of her job is all of the paperwork because she has so much. She said, “It could be very tedious at times, especially if you get something wrong, so that part of my job is very stressful.”