Better food options necessary

Back to Article
Back to Article

Better food options necessary

Domari Simmons, Sports Editor

Is it edible or terrible? This is the question everyone asks, when it comes to the cafeteria food. However, it is the only thing throughout the day that we are in school that we are technically allowed to eat. The school has permanently banned outside food and took away majority of the good snack machines, and the machines we do have, located in the cafeteria, have a time limit, which prohibits the students from buying during lunch.

Burned, undercooked, and non-appetizing, are the words used by most students here at New Hope High School to describe the cafeteria food. I wonder if the cooks actually get to cook the food, or maybe we only have the box that they take it out and heat it up everyday to blame. On the flip side others say if you don’t like it then don’t eat it. Well then what exactly are we supposed to eat within the 8 hours we are attending school? Not to bash the lunch ladies/men, because they do a tremendous job as far as serving.

There are some days the food is tolerable, and complaints are limited, and I am aware everyone cannot just jump at every complaint a student has. If that was the case the whole school would be student led. However, when dealing with the food we put in our bodies, we should have at least a 50% say within the range.

Just because it is edible does not mean it should always be eaten. I am sure I speak for the majority of the students, here at New Hope High School, when I say we do indeed appreciate the staff, but just hope to began having a more suitable meal, or having the opportunity, with appropriate and understandable guidelines, to bring and or choose our own choice of food.