Perrigin enjoys serving alma mater

Back to Article
Back to Article

Perrigin enjoys serving alma mater

Mrs. Jessica Perrigin stays busy as the keeper of New Hope's finances.

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Belinda Joseph, Layout/Web Editor

Jessica Perrigin is a 2002 graduate of New Hope High School, whose career has brought her back as a bookkeeper.

Perrigin attended East Mississippi Community College for one semester, but never returned to the school upon finding a job that she was talented at.

Before she came here to New Hope, she had two jobs. The first job was Cooper Marine & Timberlands, which is a privately held chip mill company in Aliceville, AL. She worked there for nine and a half years.

She also worked at McGee Lumber Company, which was a sawmill company that was purchased in Aliceville, AL in 1990. She worked there for 2 years.

Perrigin is now the bookkeeper here at New Hope High School, and has many responsibilities. A bookkeeper is responsible for processing the paperwork for a company’s business transactions. She has to keep track of the financial records and she does all the purchases and budgeting for the school. Anytime a teacher needs any type of supplies or something, they have to send her a purchase requisition.

She has to make sure the purchases are within the guidelines and then she sends it to a central office so it could be ordered. She’s responsible for all the inventory in the school. Anytime there is a problem in the classroom, she has to enter work orders to get maintenance to come fix things. Now, since the school has MacBooks, she is also responsible for issuing them. Essentially, she plays the main accounting role for New Hope High School.

She said the best part of her job is the people, and she loves the hours. She loves being off work on the holidays and she loves the fact that she is busy all the time. She likes challenges, so she loves that her job is a challenge.