Boyer finds calling in special education

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mississippi State student and Special Education intern, Jacob Boyer.

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Photo by Jasmyn Webb

Jasmyn Webb, News Editor

Jacob Boyer, a Caledonia native, is currently conducting his teaching internship under Mrs. Stewart. Boyer, who started out in engineering, ultimately branched off into the educational world of helping special needs children.

However, the transition wasn’t as tough as it seemed. After starting his freshman year off at Mississippi State with a passion for engineering, the passion quickly altered to special education when Boyer started to get involved into special needs programs.

“Luckily for me, I was only in engineering for my freshman year, so most of those classes were just transferred over, and I didn’t end up being behind.” Boyer clarified.

The student teacher, who will be receiving his Bachelor’s in Special Education in roughly four weeks, stated that it was his choice to come to New Hope, even though he wasn’t able to pick and choose the teachers and student he worked with. Boyer said that he thought long and hard on the decision of coming to New Hope his student teaching internship gifted him with several, various options on where they choose to teach.

“I wanted to be close to home. Even though (New Hope) was (Caledonia)’s rival, I figured it would be better to come here since it was the closest option available.”

When it comes to Boyer’s responsibilities for spending time at New Hope, he’s required to write lesson plans as a teacher, expanding his duties to help work with Mrs. Miller, an Algebra I teacher, and touching on subjects like English and Drivers Ed.

Boyer started out at the New Hope Elementary School on January 11, which is why he’s come to the high school so late in the year.

He’s learned that students in the high school respond a lot better if you just treat them with respect and talk to them like you would anyone else.

“We’ve done a little bit of practice tests in the class, and it’s been a lot of fun. My specific goal is to help my students get closer to a traditional diploma. I reason with my students. If you’re willing to work with them and put forth the effort, then most of the time they’ll do the same for you,” Boyer shared.

Mr. Boyer will be moving out to Colorado to further pursue his work with special education.

“I have to leave May 15, and my last day here will fall on May 4. I’m excited to go to Colorado. It’ll be a different route from my standard education. I will be teaching therapeutic recreation. I’ll be at a camp where I’ll be working at with children and adults who have disabilities,” Boyer explained.

Boyer explained that there wasn’t one thing in particular that motivated him to work with children who have special needs, but that it was just the simple aspect of looking past people with disabilities, all while focusing on them as an individual.

“I have had a lot of awesome experiences through that. I worked hands on with a program that I’ve worked with for three years. It’s a program that serves students who have intellectual disabilities at Mississippi State.”

Boyer stated that he’s also had the opportunity to participate in “Bulldogs On The Move,” which is a program his fraternity does for local children receiving special education in the elementary schools in Starkville.

“Who wouldn’t want to hang outside all day, play around, and be fun?”

The program brings them out to the campus, and has a field day with them. It’s similar to recess, and happens twice a month.