State test season dulls school

Back to Article
Back to Article

State test season dulls school

Aubrey Beall, Web/Layout Editor

When the mention of “state tests” randomly appears in the classroom, what’s your first thought that pops in your head?

“Ugh. They’re so boring.”

Mostly every student in high school gets a sudden feeling of annoyance when you have to sit in a room, and do a long and slow process test.

State tests are known to be quite difficult especially when you have to take one of them for the first time. During the whole period of a state test, you have to make sure you eat a big breakfast. Otherwise, you starve for a while.

Alphabetically, you have to go to a random classroom filled with students who you may or may not know where you’ll be sitting in the room silently.

The tests start off early in morning leaving you sleepy, grumpy, and not in a mood to take anything to do with school. Once all the students are settled in the classroom, it takes twenty minutes to prepare the test supplies like pencils and the booklets for each class taking the test. Plus, it takes even longer by counting the minutes it takes to pass everything out and make sure if everyone has had a restroom break before they start.

When taking the state test, you’re either timed or have an unlimited amount whether you get done early or not. In total silence you work on the paper booklet with the dullest colors that makes it harder for you to focus. The questions are too long to make the brain function cause we’re all still in sleep mode.

For example, taking the English state test requires you to answer questions on reading different articles in large paragraphs that almost put you to sleep, then want you to write about how these articles either relate or how their different on the topic. With having all of that to work on, you’re also timed on the English Test. This builds more pressure on students, which makes them rush from doing their best. Therefore, their grade or score drops making them look bad.

What’s even more unnecessary of the test is they even add questions that the reviews weren’t even about, topics that students could have spent a year or so to learn. If the test coordinators really want good scores for Mississippi, they should include only questions that schools have gotten to teach their students.

I believe that state tests really need to make test a little later then eight o’ clock morning, so students can prepare mentally and maybe get a quick meal, before struggling to take the test. Then test scores would go up, and this will help students feel more confident about taking them. Also I think there should be a small 5-10 minute break so that it takes the pressure off the students. It would be really helpful, in my opinion, if they included a small snack during the break just to boost people’s brains to work correctly.

State tests can be a bore and very long, but if we took them later in the day and included such as entertainment, or even a light snack it will help those who hope they don’t fail it. I believe this will help students not find the state tests as lame or boring.