Student teacher finds his passion

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student teacher finds his passion

Mr. Cody Crawford hopes to become an impactful social studies teacher.

Photo by Hunter Brown

Photo by Hunter Brown

Photo by Hunter Brown

Hunter Brown, Life Editor

New Hope’s new student teacher, Mr. Cody Crawford, has brought his passion to the classroom beside United States History teacher Mrs. Tara Winters. As a senior at Mississippi State, Crawford is looking to get his major in secondary education with a focus in social studies. Originally from Saltillo, Crawford is hoping to enter his own classroom this coming fall.

Growing up, Crawford said that he “initially didn’t want to teach at all,” but as he matured through high school and entered college as a freshman at Mississippi State, Crawford realized that he’d grown passionate about something that he didn’t expect to feel passion toward.

“Looking back, when I got to college I had no plans on being a teacher, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I did have teachers that heavily impacted me while I was in school,” claimed Crawford. “One thing that my 11th grade U.S. History teacher did that was so special to me was the way he learned everyone’s names: he gave everyone nicknames. He would never call you by your actual name, just by your nickname.”

Unique teachers like these are why Crawford in the end wanted to pursue a career in teaching, and he looks to bring that sense of enjoyment back to learning history. He believes that the more we learn about history, the more we learn to understand what is going on now and how to fix problems with our society.

Crawford was selected to be in Mrs. Winters’ U.S. History class for the second semester at New Hope High School. Though he does love U.S. History and is honored to be working next to a teacher with so much experience, Crawford wishes to eventually teach World History as he sees that it is his strongest subject and he is more passionate about that subject than anything else.

Talking about his experience student teaching at New Hope, Crawford confessed that it has been a “mix” for him, but overall he has thoroughly enjoyed his time student teaching so far. “I have learned what to do and what not to do and that’s really important when it comes to teaching.”

Though student teaching can be a scary first experience for some, Crawford expressed that he believes his time at New Hope wouldn’t have been the same without Winters beside him. He has mentioned that she has helped him understand what to do and not to do as a future teacher, and believes that Winters has much wisdom to be passed on.

Looking into the future, Crawford suggested that the ultimate goal for his teaching career would to eventually be a university professor, but he does understand that he has a lot of steps to complete in order to achieve goals like that, which include finishing student teaching and graduating with his class this coming May.

May 5 will be Crawford’s last day at New Hope and he believes that there couldn’t have been a better school to student teach at than New Hope. Crawford knows that it will be a rocky road at times during his career, but in the end he understands that “If you aim big and miss, there are still many things that you could do.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student teacher finds his passion”

1. Diane Long on March 11th, 2016 5:17 pm

Great article about our favorite grandson

2. Kaliel Gardner on April 1st, 2016 2:25 pm

Amazing article

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Student teacher finds his passion

Showcase

‘Meet the Trojans’ kicks off athletic seasons

• Student teacher finds his passion

Opinions

Guide to High School

• Student teacher finds his passion

Features

Native Spanish-speaker joins faculty

• Student teacher finds his passion

News

Cafeteria begins second year of new program

• Student teacher finds his passion

News

Join The Echo: Be part of something extraordinary

• Student teacher finds his passion

News

Student Council hosts homecoming masquerade

• Student teacher finds his passion

Sports

New Hope vs. Forest Photo Gallery

• Student teacher finds his passion

Showcase

• Student teacher finds his passion

Opinions

Guide to High School

• Student teacher finds his passion

Features

Native Spanish-speaker joins faculty